This section includes all those young people who experience short but significant periods of high anxiety, stress, distress or anger that affect their education.
It also includes young people who have a range of longer-term recognised mental health conditions.
For both groups, issues can include:
- Forming and maintaining relationships.
- Attitudes to attainment.
- Life outside school.
What does North Gosforth Academy offer?
All of our students have access to:
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEND practice).
- Access to homework support clubs.
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
- Whole school reward system – PRAISE Code.
- Key Stage transition support.
- Tutor time programme.
- Online Kooth access.
Support may include:
- Mentoring Support.
- Drawing and Talking Therapy.
- Guided Self-Help programmes.
- Support/supervision at unstructured times of the day in The Hive.
- Increased Year 7 transition support.
- Intervention groups (all years)- social skills/self esteem/stress management.
- Outdoor learning.
- In-class support in some lessons.
- Managing Emotions programme.
- Year 11 support with college applications and career paths.
- Referral to the North Tyneside Student Support Centre e.g. Trax programme, involvement in Outreach support groups.
Targeted individual support may include:
- 1:1 mentoring.
- Outside agency input (eg. Educational Psychologist, Targeted Youth Support, Early Help, CAMHS, North Tyneside Student Support Centre).
- Flexible timetables, in agreement with the school and Local Authority.
- In-class support.
- Bespoke Managing Emotions programme.
- Pastoral Support Plan.
- Support from Family Partners