This can include:
- Understanding language.
- Using language.
- Understanding how to communicate socially with other people.
- Conditions include: Specific Language Disorder, ASD/ASC (Autism), Asperger Syndrome, speech sound disorders/delay.
- Stammering – advice given to families about how to access support from outside agencies.
What does North Gosforth Academy offer?
All of our students have access to:
- Quality First teaching with appropriate differentiation (including best SEN practice).
- Visual aids to support key vocabulary, concepts and themes.
- ICT is used to reduce barriers to learning where possible
- Access to homework support clubs
- Access to assessment for identification of significant needs.
- Dedicated and caring staff who value all students regardless of ability.
Support may include:
- Assessment and identification of language need and feedback to parents/carers and staff.
- Referral to the Language and Communication Team or Speech and Language Therapy
- Small group intervention programmes include: vocabulary, inference and deduction and language building blocks.
- Pre and post intervention skills assessment and results.
- Post intervention feedback to student, parents/carers and staff.
- In-class support in some lessons.
- Progress Group.
Targeted individual support may include:
- 1:1 sessions with a Speech and Language Therapist.
- 1:1 or small group sessions with Language and Communication Team.
- Individual support in some lessons.
- On-going monitoring and regular feedback to parents/carers and students (at least termly and including the Annual Review).
- Exam access arrangements.
- Post 16 transition support.